Declutter Project #4

HOORAY! I finally have one big black garbage bag plus some to take to Goodwill tomorrow. Yes, I should be much further along, but I slipped into a depression and was unable to get rid of anything for an entire week. This morning, I discovered a box I had filled with things I had planned to donate, and I let go of some cookbooks I had never used.

I have a box started of kitchen stuff to donate to some lucky student this fall. I'm sure I still have kitchen or household stuff packed away, so that box will be getting larger as I go. I spotted a tablecloth the other day in a box.

I'm falling into the "I might use/need this" trap a lot, and also into wanting to sell things that are not worth it. I had to take a break to get my head back on straight. Now I'm being brutal, Just putting things into the bag with the rule that they can't come back out once they are in.

This is harder than I ever thought it would be. Part of me still imagines that one day I'll have a home again where I can use all these things. The temptation to go "floor to ceiling" is strong, but then I mentally slap myself and remind myself that "floor to ceiling" is just a way to hold onto crap you don't need. If I needed all this stuff, sure, I'd do that, but I don't. Most of it is decorative stuff, not even things I might someday be able to use, so there is absolutely no reason to hang onto it.

In the bedroom, I discovered another table I had "rescued" from beside the dumpster and am taking that back out to where it came from today.

Slow and steady. I've so far gotten rid of about 10 boxes worth of stuff and several dumpster finds, so that's not so bad considering I took a whole week off.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

Popular Posts