Using a Bicycle as a Main Means of Tranportation at 60+ Years Old

Image Credit: Seemann via Morguefile.com


I took my first real bike trip today, where I actually stopped and locked it up and went inside somewhere. I rode up to the local grocery store, Ward's Supermarket. It's a little far to walk, so I put my fear aside and pulled out the cruiser.

I'm not really comfortable on the cruiser. I don't like the handlebars and it's sort of cumbersome for swerving in and out of traffic. I'll likely get a better bike soon, but this will do for now. I only took my U-Lock, because it's a pretty safe neighborhood, and I've seen  lots of bikes only locked up with cables that never get stolen, so I felt safe enough. I may take my cable too next time, just so I can cable the front wheel to something. I'd hate to come out and find my bike there, but my front wheel gone.

Surprisingly, I think I really like riding the bike. I went a little later than I normally do when I'm walking, so it was warmer. When I had to stop for crossings, I got a little sweaty, but then I was flying down the sidewalk and the breeze dried me off. It was a nice ride, just over a mile. I'm happy this city allows you to ride bikes on the sidewalks if there is no bike lane, because honestly, I feel much safer riding on the sidewalk. The basket is small, but it fits one insulated grocery bag well, if not perfectly. I can see myself riding down to the farmer's market for fresh produce on Wednesday afternoons, but not this week. I have enough produce for now. So the bike is a success, which makes me feel much better, because walking in this heat is getting to be more and more of a strain.

So tomorrow I am going to view the rental house. I've heard nothing else from the landlady with the tiny apartment, so I don't even know if that is still in play. I told her I was looking at another place and I would get back to her. She wanted to call one more person on my application, but I can't imagine who that was, since she called both my references.

I really hope this works out for this house, though. It's a mile or shortly over from everything I need....downtown, Sav-a-Lot, Dollar General, Family Dollar -- and several buses serve that area that go everywhere you need to go. It's nothing fancy, but I don't want fancy, I just want my own house with my own yard and my privacy at a price I can afford, which this is. I'm thinking since it is so close to downtown that I will just walk or bike up to the library to work for a while, to test out this new theory of having no internet at home. It would be a interesting experiment, that's for sure.

I'll write more tomorrow after I see it, but in the meantime, say a prayer or send out some good energy for me.




Comments

  1. Well done, Deb! You have my admiration. I have lousy balance, thanks to my poor eyesight, so I've never been able to ride a bike, but I admire anyone, especially omen my age, who do their shopping & other everyday chores on a bike. Great exercise & saving you money on bus fares.

    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get the house or the tiny apartment, whichever one works out for you.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All Contents Are Moderated Before Appearing. No spam links allowed.

Popular Posts