A Social Security Benefit You May Not Know About


I have been trying to make myself finally apply for disability, so today I broke down and called the SS office. In the course of conversation, I told the guy on the phone that I was widowed, and he says I qualify for something called Surviving Spouse benefits, which you can get at age 60 if your spouse is deceased. The best part about this is that I can also make over $14,000 a year in additional earned income and still qualify for the full amount. So I can still work, but not have to worry so much about making so much money.

As many of you know, I've been looking to move, and now plan to move in April or at the latest by May 1, depending on where I go. I was worried that I would not be able to make enough to support myself, but now I will have enough to cover the rent plus a little more, so I'll be set. In fact, if I'm able to get that little studio I want in Gainesville in August, it will cover the rent and utilities.

Even better, when I am approved for my disability, I will automatically get a raise of over $100 a month. Of course, that will take years.

I cannot tell you what a load this off my shoulders. To finally have some sort of financial security is a blessing from the universe! And if I had married any of those losers I thought about marrying in the past 27 years, this would not be available to me. There is something to be said for being picky, I guess.

We are celebrating tonight with Ben and Jerry's Pistachio Ice Cream. It is also a worry off my roommate's shoulders, because she too was worried about my not being able to support myself once I moved.

Comments

Popular Posts