Curing My Food Stockpiling Obsession

I grew up poor, and often hungry. I loved summer, because there were always wild fruits growing somewhere around, and my daddy grew a veggie garden. So now I have this fear of not having enough food. Living in a state that has hurricanes yearly doesn't help. It just makes me want to stockpile more.

The first thing I did when I moved in here was unpack the boxes and boxes of stockpiled food. I didn't have room for it all in the cabinets, so I had to eat some of it down. It took me about two months to do that. Then I started planning how to stockpile MORE food. BTW, there is only me. I'm stockpiling for one.

I also started planning a vegetable garden, which didn't work out well at all, because I don't have enough full sun. So every week, I would trudge myself with my rolling backpack to the store a few times and trudge back with lots of food. If I had a spot open in the freezer, fridge or cabinets, I had to fill it.

In the past month or so, I got sick of doing that. This past two weeks, I've only bought milk, eggs and a few pieces of fruit. I say to myself every day, "I really need to go to the store," but then I look and see that I really have food to eat, so I don't go. Tomorrow, I really do need to go, because I truly only have enough for two more days, and I need to get a few things that are on sale for when I have visitors later this month.

The point is, I didn't ever really NEED all that food. Yes, I do need to stockpile for hurricane season, but not as much as I have before. I swear, I could have fed 15 people for a week with my hurricane stockpile. I was even studying to become a prepper -- in a 520 sf apartment! That should have been interesting.

I decided now that I'm going to have one 18-gallon Rubbermaid container for hurricane food, and I will only buy what I need for the next few days from the store. My son is inspiring me to do this, because it's what he's doing. He's also learning to cook, and is loving it.

So this will be hard for me, because stockpiling is really a compulsion. We'll see how it goes.

If you enjoy this blog, please consider subscribing. Thanks!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

Popular Posts