Beware Stated Square Footage When Renting or Buying

This apartment was sold to me as being 620 SF, but it just seemed much smaller. I just measured, and I do not have 620 SF of indoor living space. It looks like they lied. 620 sf is the apartment footprint plus the paved porch. That's pretty deceptive, and it makes me sort of mad.

I measured every room, not counting the space taken up by walls, and the liveable space is only 531.20 sf. If you take out the 13 sf for the hot water heater and the air handler closet, that's 518.20 sf, and that's counting the bedroom and linen closets, and the usable space in the utility closet. And that's not usable wall or floor space. Some of that is taken up by the bathtub, windows and doors. That's a whole bedroom less than 620 sf.

If you add in the patio, to the total counting those utility spaces, it's 594.20, which is 25.8 feet less than 620, so that would account for the walls.

So all this time I've been wondering why I could't fit all my stuff into 620 sf, and people were saying "that's a lot of space," I realize now I don't have as much space at all. I'm not complaining, because I also have the courtyard, so it's well worth what I pay for it according to rents in this town, but now I have to refigure everything according to that square footage, and especially stop telling people I have 100 sf more.

I was wondering how someone on one of my forums had 2 BRs in 620 sf. Now I know. If it was 620 sf of actual usable space, not a 620 sf unit footprint.

Well, at least I know why everything won't fit in here now. I guess I'll either be getting rid of a lot more stuff, or thinking of moving into a 2 BR. How depressing. I love this apartment and was hoping never to have to move again, but at least if I do, it will be in the same complex.

On the other hand, if my neighbors move and I can get their apartment with the yard, I can put up a shed that willl hold a lot of the things I now have inside, like my bike and garden tools/accessories. That stuff takes up a few sf in here, so that will help.

I just don't want to move. It's so much work, and I already have my gardens all set up here. I guess I'll have to see how much stuff I can rid myself of in the next few months before my lease ends. It may not be aesthetically pleasing to have all this stuff inside, but hopefully, I can find a way to hide some of it.

My life is just one big mess after another. I'll probably figure it out, but in the meantime, I'm very disappointed.

Comments

Popular Posts