The Curse of a Tiny Kitchen


NOT MY ACTUAL KITCHEN
I simply cannot keep my kitchen clean. I've never been a clean freak, so I tend to set things aside to do later. That does not work in a tiny kitchen.

I knew the kitchen would be a problem, and I've written about it before. I hate to keep going on and on about it, but it's the one thing I hate about this apartment. I don't use the word hate lightly. I really hate it.

There is absolutely no counter space, so if I don't immediately empty the dishwasher so I can put dirty dishes back into it to hide them, I end up with dishes everywhere. I try to stick them into the sink, but I cook a lot and eat frequent small meals, so I end up with a lot of dirty dishes on what little counter space there is. Dirty pots cover the stovetop.

Then there is the dishwasher problem. It's relatively old and simple and doesn't get the dishes as clean as I'd like. It's especially bad on silverware, so I have to wash all that by hand. I use a lot of spoons -- don't know why -- maybe it's an age thing where you start your life eating with spoons and end your life eating with spoons. Anyway, I use a lot of spoons, so I have to wash the silverware by hand every day.

Planning the Perfect Space -- Or Not

I have plans to make the kitchen more efficient, but that takes money, which I don't have right now, and won't for a few months. I'll try to make it as useful as possible, but I don't think I can make it perfect. My perfect kitchen is much, much larger and has bright windows to the outside world. This one has no such qualities. Still, you work with what you have.

In the space leading into the washer/dryer closet (which I use as a pantry and storage space), I will make a double sided pegboard door that rolls on casters. On one side, I'll hang pots and lids and on the other I'll have spices and racks to  hold other things. I can roll that door out so that it can be turned whichever way I need it for use when cooking. I'm also thinking of putting a drop-down on it to act as extra prep space. It's going to be a complicated design, so I'm working on it slowly. That will free up a lot of cabinet space and allow me to use my rolling cart as a coffee island, freeing up even more counter space.

I'm going to utilize the insides of the cabinet doors to hold things such as foils and wraps, cleaning supplies (sponges, scrubbies, etc.) and anything else that is now taking up space in my cabinets and drawers. I want to use cabinets and drawers mostly for food storage, since I really enjoy stockpiling.

I have to get the small appliances off the counters, so I'm going to buy a chrome shelving unit to put into my non-dining room area and put them on that. I don't plan to have a "real" dining room, and extending the kitchen space is a much more utilitarian use of that space. On that shelf will also be pretty boxes to hold kitchen linens and other stored kitchen things. This will free up my one decent sized counter space for prep work and for using smaller appliances as needed, such as juicers and blenders.

As for under the sink, I will install some sliding drawers to hold cleaning supplies. There really is no other meaningful use for that area. The doors are shot from water damage, so I'm either going to take them off and put up a curtain, or cover the damaged fronts with something prettier.

Hiding the Kitchen

In the meantime, the kitchen is always a mess and I hate it, but aside from washing each dish, fork, spoon, knife and pot as I use it, there is only one solution, and that is to cover the doorway with something that hides it from view. The doorway is extra-wide; I suppose to facilitate moving appliances in and out, so that will take some planning. I had already planned to build some movable shelving for the sides, but I don't know how to screen it from site yet. For the present, I'll probably just hang some pretty curtains up, which will be simple, since I have so many curtain rods, and I still have the full-length curtains from my old house.

So there it is, the complete kitchen plan. When it will all get done is beyond me at this point, but little by little, it will be the kitchen I want, no matter what it costs.

 

Comments

Popular Posts