Heat - Finally - And Just In Time!

My house is coming together slowly but surely. My landlord came over yesterday and finished installing the heater just in time for this cold snap. It's still not a perfect situation, because the heater closet has no door (Well, there is a door, but it's not installed so I propped it up in the opening to prevent some of the air from going up and out the ceiling), and there are still doors and windows that need new weatherstripping (which I asked for, but never got), but at least I'm not trapped in one room with a space heater, trying to stay warm.

I don't think the house across the street - which is pretty much just a dilapidated shack - has any heat. They were out early this morning burning scrap lumber in an old metal drum. I'm worried about the small children that live over there, a 2-year old and one who is under 1 year old. I hope their mother finds someone who will take them in for the next few days so those kids will be warm. This is the kind of house that burns down when it gets cold in FL, which worries me too.

As I've said before, I won't be here over a year, but at least I'll be comfortable this winter. Next summer is quite another story, as I found out when I moved here that the air conditioning is insufficient to keep this place comfortable. Of course, my landlord has promised to install central air, so we'll see how that goes. Now that the ductwork is in, he should get to working on that in the spring, hopefully.

Now, if he would just fix the plumbing....

Comments

Popular Posts