Making a Small Kitchen Work for a Kitchen-Centered Life



Well, I am discovering that my kitchen, which I thought was large for a small house, is too small. I'm going to have to find a way to get appliances off the countertops. I have nowhere to work.

I have 26 inches of counter on the right side of the stove, which is where the Microwave sits, because of the plug location.

There is 34 inches on the other side, which is taken up by various turntables full of my  supplements and coffee paraphernalia, and a small spice holder rack and pasta keeper

The 33 inches of counterspace on the left side of the sink is mostly taken up by the dish drainer, knife block and paper towel holder. The 30 inches on the other side holds the crockpot. I still have no clue where I'm going to put the toaster oven or the blender.

If I get a microwave stand for the toaster oven and microwave, I will be severely limited on space for dining along the only long wall in my dining area (where the plug is), so I'm really looking into that picture-frame drop-down table.

DIY Folding Table Doubles as Picture Frame

Also looking for an alternative way to store knives and will be taking the countertop paper towel holder away and installing one under a cabinet.

The pantry/broom closet is odd. The shelves are just large enough to hold cans, but they can be adjusted downward just a tiny tad. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with that.

One problem I have with storage is that the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling, so anything I store on the top shelf will have to be long-term seldom-used storage. I'll work that out. There evidently used to be shelves under the cabinets on either side of the sink that were removed, so I'll look to see what I can do about putting another set up.

I'll be putting up a large spice rack eventually, which will take the spices out of the cabinet to make space for the supplements. Pots will be going onto a hanging pot rack.

It's all very time-consuming and aggravating, and I need to find a way to bake cookies for Christmas, so I have to get my butt in gear.

Comments

Popular Posts