Strange and Not-So Wonderful Strawberry Shortcake

Credit: MConnors at morguefile.com
I bought strawberries, sliced them and put sugar on to make some strawberry shortcake. Problem was, I forgot to buy the shortcakes -- or the whipped cream! What was I thinking?

I thought I would just eat them in cottage cheese, but my mouth was watering for strawberry shortcake, so I decided to make shortcake with my biscuit mix. Only -- I didn't have any milk or eggs. All I had was powdered non-dairy coffee creamer. O.K., that will work. Looked online and found out how to mix the creamer to use as a milk substitute, and then looked up a bisuit mix shortbread recipe. Oh great! I need eggs! Nope, no eggs either.

So this is what I ended up doing:

2 cups biscuit mix
5 tsp. coffee creamer dissolved in 2/3rds cup of warm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (egg substitute)
2 tablespoons sugar.

I whipped it into a cake batter consistency and baked it at 350. Can't tell you how long, because I forgot to time it. Probably 15-20 minutes. To top it all off, I forgot to grease the pan, but it didn't come out too bad. Had to crumble a little at one end to get the spatula under the rest.

Instead of cool whip, I used vanilla yogurt for topping. Poured enough of the juice on to saturate the shortcake. It's not the best shortcake I ever tasted, but it's not too bad. The coffee creamer definitely makes quite a strong taste, so I won't try that again, and the yogurt is a bit much. All in all, not a complete failure, but not a taste combination I would do again.

So I know what I will be doing tomorrow. Walking to the store to get some shortcake and whipped cream. Now what to do with the rest of that shortcake? I guess the birds might like it.

Now to try making my own rice milk. Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. You're as bad as me....or as good...or we're just too creative in the kitchen :D I can honestly say that you should never make a Chicken Helper with almond milk....YUCK....some things just CANNOT be substituted!! :) I can't imagine how the creamer gave off such a strong taste though, if it was diluted within the rest of the mix. Funky stuff!! :) At least you somewhat got your shortcake fix....:) Here's to creativity!! :) <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All Contents Are Moderated Before Appearing. No spam links allowed.

Popular Posts