I'm Not Ready to Give Up Any More Stuff

I keep saying I'm still purging, but what I'm actually doing is just shuffling. I repack boxes, and every once in awhile, I actually put something into the yard sale box. I looked at a tiny little apartment the other day, but the truth is, I don't want to get rid of as much as I would have to in order to live there. In fact, I don't want to get rid of anything else!

I've gone from a 1300 sf  3/2/1/ house with a 1/4 acre yard to renting a room in someone else's house. Along the way, I've had to purge 2/3rds of what I own. I keep thinking I can do more, but the truth is, I can't. What I have now is all I have left of my life, my children's lives, my grandparents' lives and my parents' lives. It is all precious to me, and I am not ready to let it go.

These are the things I want around me when I die; my family furniture, pictures from my travels, memories of my children. I refuse to have these things taken away from me to pay for a minimalistic life. I've already said I won't have less than 500 sf of space, and that is because it's the least amount of space where I can have all my stuff without being suffocated by it.

I miss some of the things I have let go of, but they weren't really sentimental pieces. The sentimental things, I just am not ready to part with. My books, my chatchkes, my collections -- all too precious to be forced to part with. I will probably do like my grandmother did and give them away as gifts to my children as I get older. That way, they will have pieces of me when I'm gone that hopefully, will be precious to them.

I have no idea where I will end up, but I know one thing: all of what I now own will likely go with me. I've just lost too much over the past few years, and it's unfair to ask me to lose anymore just for the sake of money. I'd rather put it all in storage and live in a tent in the woods than give up the most precious things in my life.


Comments

Popular Posts