Starting Your Life Over At 65

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come. ~Joseph Campbell

So my life is always changing, but I had a drastic change recently. I had a small kitchen fire in my apartment, and I'm not sure they are going to renew my lease next year. They may also charge me for repairs, since the fire was my fault, and increase my rent to where it would not be feasible to stay here any longer. I had planned on staying another year to save money for my van dwelling project (yes, that's on again), but now everything is up in the air, so I have to enact a complete redo.

Life Attitude Changes

I've gotten to a strange point in my life. After putting off  decluttering and minimizing for many years now, I may not now have a choice. I have 7 months to do what I had planned to do in 18, and suddenly, I have this incredible "can do" attitude about it. After the fire, I had a rather nasty encounter with the head of the management company, and I no longer feel like this is a place I want to live long term.

Add to all of that, that I am now burned out on gardening. I moved here because of the courtyard, where I could do some gardening, then expanded my gardens far outside the courtyard, but lately, I'm bored with gardening and finding it too hard physically to keep up anymore. I had gotten a community garden plot that I waited for a year for, but then just gave it up because I knew it would be too much work. I'm pretty much over trying to grow veggies. I just want a few pretty flowers and I want to confine them to my courtyard. I'm selling or giving away all of my containerized plants that need to be brought in for the winter, and the ones planted outside will just have to die. I'm going to make a few large containers of cold-hardy and annual plants in the courtyard, and that's it.  My whole life has revolved around plants since I can remember, so this is a major change for me.

As for the decluttering, I'm determined to get rid of anything that won't fit into a van. If I end up not moving into a van, I'll move into a smaller space, like a nice studio somewhere other than here. I'm about over this city, and would like to get back to being closer to a beach, even if it means only living in one room.

Health & Fitness

I have some serious medical problems I have to take care of, and I thought I had time, but now I'm not so sure. I'm having tests and continuing to try to find natural remedies and treatments for what ails me.

I know that if I do move into a van, I'm going to have to be a lot better shape than I am now, so I'm working out a diet and exercise plan to lose 40 lbs. and get into better physical shape. It won't be easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is.

Goals

My goals are simple:

1) Earn as much money as possible in the next 7 months to buy a van and outfit it for the road.
2) Stick to a diet & exercise plan to be in better shape by the time I move into the van
3) Get rid of 99% of what I own so I can move into the van, or failing that, move into a much smaller space.

As we all know, the best laid plans often fail, so I'm prepared to have bumps along the way. I'm not going to give up, though. I'm ready to make the rest of my life as healthy & happy as possible.

Comments

Popular Posts