Decluttering - JUST DO IT!

I have been in "preparation" mode for months now for this decluttering project, and have finally gotten to a point where I just need to do it. I gave myself 6 months from March 1, and honestly, I've done very little. I did get rid of a couple of pieces of furniture I picked up from the dumpster, but other than that, I haven't gone through any boxes or anything else.

I picked up a bookcase from someone who was moving, and it only needs a little bracing to be usable. I thought a friend was going to help me with that, but he didn't, so I dug out my dremel and I'm going to do it myself. Once that is done, I'll drag boxes out from the bedroom to make room for it, and start filling it up as I unload stuff.

I have been looking at the bookcase in the living room, and seeing that I am probably never going to read any of those books again, so why am I keeping them? I have several more boxes of books that I need to go through, then I'll start getting rid of them. I'll try to do a box sale on Craigslist for like $5 for a box of books, but if that doesn't work, I'll just donate them to Goodwill. I'm not going through all the work of selling them one-by-one on eBay.

I've also decided to get rid of a lot of gardening stuff. I have boxes and cases full of things I'm not using and will probably never use. I want to pare it down to one 20-gallon rubbermaid container. Of course, garden tools don't count, and I'll keep those, but the accessories have to go. For example, I have a box full of nothing but African violet growing pots, etc. I don't know that I will ever grow AVs again, and if I do, it won't be at the level I grew them before, so let someone else enjoy it.

Anyway, I've looked into how I live and it is untenable. This stuff has to go, and I want to live as simply as possible. Not truly minimalistic, but very pared down. I still want things I love around me, but only the most important things, like family heirlooms and gifts, etc. All these things I bought at thrift stores or found on the roadside will have to be dealt with. Either they have a use and can stay, or they have to go.

The time is now to do this. It's not going to get any easier.



Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

Popular Posts