How much space do you really need? Changing my mind about space.

So once I figured out that I really don't have 620 sf of living space, but 520 sf, I was sort of angry, but honestly, I'm not using all of that space anyway. I'm more or less using the bedroom as a storeroom, and living studio style in the LR, so I measured it all out and figured out that I only actually "live" in 400 sf of the apartment. This is cheaper than renting a studio and a storage space, and I'm actually pretty happy living like this.

Once I get rid of most of the stuff that is in boxes, I don't know what in the world I will do with all of this space. I know I have said I would never move again, but I'm thinking of moving to a 500 sf stand-alone studio house I had been admiring before I moved here. It's in a better part of town that is more conducive to bike riding, and very cute. It's a bit more expensive (about $30), but it has a cool front porch and a nice, shady back yard for hanging out and gardening. The best thing is that it is not attached to anyone else's home.

So, over the past 5 years I've gone from a 1200 SF house with a 1 car garage and 100 sf enclosed back porch on 1/4 acre lot to this. Having a big house was nice for space, but hard to take care of. For the past year, I've been saying I want a 2 BR, because this isn't enough space, but it is. I have everything I need unpacked right now. I don't need more space, I need to get rid of more stuff.

I've also discovered that I'd like this place much better if it was just an open studio floorplan, like the place I'm looking at. That gives you so much more flexibility in where things go and how you decorate.

My son just moved into a tiny apartment that is less than 300 SF, and he's very happy. He has very few possessions. I've always been sort of a packrat and went through a hoarder stage too, but now I'm over that and going in the opposite direction, and loving it.

So the point is, for all of you thinking of moving into something bigger because you have too much stuff, think about maybe paring down your stuff (I know that's impossible for some people) and staying where you are, or even going smaller.







Comments

Popular Posts