Giving Away Stuff I've Been Toting Around Forever - And I Do Mean FOREVER!

I've finally decided to let go of all the books and magazines I've had forever. Some of these are from the 70's and 80's. It will be difficult to let go of the old gardening mags, but I'm never going to read them again, so let someone else have them.

As for books, same thing. There are so many books I've never read, and most of the ones I have, I will never read again. I have to keep some out of sentimentality for who gave them to me, but even I realize that when I'm dead, my sons will just donate them to Goodwill. Still, I'll hang onto the sentimental ones and let the rest go.

I'm torn about some things, still, and others need to be sold, but will take a lot of time to list. Not even sure I want to get into the eBay thing right now. I'd rather concentrate on using that time to earn money writing, so I can get out of here sooner.

Still, I'm trying hard to pare down to only essentials and things I can't live without. I'll probably find that most of what I have, I can live without, but it will be tough letting it go. I was watching "Hoarders: Buried Alive" last night and I know I could actually get that way if I had enough space. I knew I was in trouble in my old house when the crap started spilling out of the two extra rooms and garage into the bedroom and living room. In that way, I'm glad the Universe saw fit to save me from myself by forcing me into smaller and smaller places.

Still, I think a 1 br apartment at about 500-600 sf is just about right. I look at tiny places, but I know I wouldn't be happy without a separate bedroom and living area, especially after literally living in my bedroom for almost two years. I need a little room to spread out, and with careful planning, all of what I currently own could fit into something that size.

I guess we'll see how it all turns out in the end. It's slow going, but one box of magazines will be gone and I just consolidated two boxes into one, so that's two boxes gone. Only a few dozen more to go.


Comments

Popular Posts